Research Goals for 2021

 

Happy New Year!  

I have never been happier to start a new year and leave an old one in the dust. I am hoping, as I am sure we all are, that the pandemic becomes controllable or better yet, non existent and we can go back to our lives and of course our genealogy!  

I have a few personal goals for 2021 but I have far more genealogy goals. Here are a few of mine.  

Education- 

I was surprised and happy about how much education I was able to experience in 2020. I would like to keep that going.  While my enthusiasm for the webinar is waning, for now it is the most convenient way to learn. I am working on being more selective- signing up for those I am really interested in and looking for them in different places. I joined APG this year and their catalog of programs is certainly helping me level up.  

Helping me to level up this year, I have signed up for a study group!  I am excited to participate, as I have not been in a study group since college and I certainly have not experienced an online study group. This group will focus on Mastering Genealogical Proof by Dr. Thomas Jones. While I have read this book before I am looking forward to the group experience and receiving feedback on this assignments.  I am hoping this will be good preparation for the ProGen Study Group, which has been a long time goal for me.

I have been approved to attend the National Genealogy Society conference this year in Richmond, VA because of my genealogy work at the library. I have given up hope that is will be in-person, but I am excited to attend virtually. I am equally excited for Roots Tech. I have never attended in person and doubt I ever will, as I wasn't too fond of crowds before COVID entered our daily lives. I am grateful for the opportunity to participate from the comfort of my couch.  

Research-

There is never a shortage of ideas for research in my brain. I am still in limbo with my Jacob Rose project and imagine I will be until the NARA Archive reopens and I can finally obtain his Civil War pension. I am equally interested in the life of his wife, Emmeline Secor. I have a death certificate for an Emmeline Secor, who died under mysterious circumstances, and a goal is to prove this Emmeline is my Emmeline.  

Another set of third great grandparents are equally mysterious. George Cassidy, New York City soda maker has long been a brick wall.  I would love to someday get this line across the pond or to at least find his probate, which I have evidence his daughter (my second great grandmother) contested.  In past blog posts have tried to unravel the mystery of his wife Martha who on some documents is called Bathsheba. I am going to give this research question the Research Like a Pro treatment, complete with research report.  

I have many other research questions and ideas that I would love to try to tackle.  The trick is to give them each their due and not to rush or work on multiple projects at a time.  

Trips- 

I am almost afraid to write this. Will travel be safe this year? Who knows? I do know that when I can travel to NY I will be heading to Calvary Cemetery (Queens, NY) to find the grave of George Cassidy. I know there are many living people I should visit in NY, but will need to get in line. I have been searching for him for a long time and I can't wait to visit him now that he has been located.  

What are the projects or goals you are hoping to work on this year? 


   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The War of the Roses

Elizabeth Cassidy Schuler

Thanks & Giving