Opportunities Abound!

Happy 2022!  

While the new year seems to be off to a bit of a shaky start, with Covid numbers once again rising across the country, I am determined to be optimistic and of course cautious.  

Yes, I am sad and frustrated that the virus and my inability to travel has been a challenge to my research. But I don't feel like I have right to complain too much.  My friends and family have remained healthy and we are all vaxed and boosted to keep each other safe. My library co-workers have remained vigilant while dealing with the public while we still work in very close quarters. 

Since life has continued this year to present us with lemons, I have chosen to make lemonade. 

I may not have been able to travel and accomplish some long anticipated on the ground research, I have research, studied and continued to learn.  

The opportunity to participate in classes and webinars is abundant! While I do occasionally feel the "zoom fatigue" many have talked about, I participate when I can. I have become more selective with my topics, making time to participate in those that are sharing the issues that I am excited to learn about.  

I began 2021 off with a bang by participating in GenProof 66 study group. It was a wonderful challenge for me. If you long to level up your research this is a great experience.  Jean Andrews was our mentor. Jean was kind, thoughtful and created a space where we were challenged and could ask questions. My cohorts were a super smart bunch of genealogists. The assignments were a great exercise and at the completion of the program, I felt proud and accomplished and a little sad that it was over.  

I spend so much time in my own little bubble, it was great to share conversations with like minded people and to see there are many others out there balancing work, family and other responsibilities and still carve out time to research and take classes. The biggest lesson I learned was that I can balance a class of this magnitude with the rest of my life and that I am capable of this and more advanced classes.  

During my GenProof program I was able to take some time after work and participate in RootsTech from home! I never considered attending this conference in person, the crowds always seemed seriously intimidating (even before I knew what covid was!). I was able to listen and learn from so many! Workshops that I watched twice include those presented by old favorites like Diana Elder and Shannon Bennett Combs and new (to me) Cheri Daniels. I am already registered and put in my days off for RootsTech 2022.  

I have said it before and it bears repeating, I am fortunate to work for a supportive library director.  This year participating in the National Genealogy Society conference was a goal included in my yearly evaluation.  While I was disappointed not to be able to travel to Richmond, I was able to participate fully and was able to view workshops from Elizabeth Shown Mills, Anne G. Mitchell, Tom Jones and others.  

Through my library work I was also able to participate in an ALA e-course  Advanced Genealogy Research Techniques for Librarians. This class was thought provoking and gave me the opportunity to read many scholarly articles focusing on subjects such as DNA and ethics.  

This summer as a birthday gift to myself, I spent a week in August submerged in New York records and research by participating in New York Genealogical and Biographical Society's Empire Explorations. 

 I am not even sure what to call this experience! An e-course or webinar? No title I think of can do this week justice.  It was genealogy camp! We were fully submerged in records and all things New York, thanks to the genius that is Sue Miller! 

I can't say enough good things about this experience. It took me weeks to process all that I learned and to get all my notes and handouts into a cohesive resource that I can refer to regularly.  In addition to the pre work and post work I needed to do for this class, I had a one on one consultation with a professional genealogist! I spent this week focusing on my Cassidy family and luckily I was paired with Terry Koch Bostic, NY genealogist and Irish records expert. I am still working on the list of suggestions she shared.  I used a great deal of what I learned with the Irish American research project I am working on for a friend.  More on that coming soon.  

Many of these opportunities I would not have been able to participate in or afford if they were all in person events.  

In addition to NYGBS I belong to and participate in two genealogy societies that I find worthwhile.  

First, the Genealogical Society of Rockland County is special to me because it is where I got my start with research and met people who are researching the same families and areas that I am. This organization offers a top notch, rich newsletter and now that all of their programming is virtual or hybrid, I have been able to participate!  

Closer to home, I was lucky to find and join the Pinellas Genealogy Society.  I have enjoyed their programs, particularly their annual seminar for years.  This year I joined the board of directors and have enjoyed participating and learning my role.  What a hard working bunch! Each month there is a great virtual program or speaker of high quality.  

Another great learning tool for me is continuing to create the library's What's Your Story? genealogy podcast with my good friend and great genealogist Lois Powell. We have completed more than ten episodes and have ideas for many more. This project started as a way to stay in contact with our regular genealogy patrons during the pandemic. 

I am hopeful that this year I will be able to visit my hometown in NY and do some cemetery walking, archive and library research and visit family on both sides of my tree.  I know that regardless, I will continue to research and learn! 

Happiest of new years to you!  May this year be full of great genealogical discoveries! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The War of the Roses

Elizabeth Cassidy Schuler

Thanks & Giving