Donkey Basketball, Anyone?


I have learned to look for genealogy, family history and local history in interesting and unusual places.  I have been rather successful in searching E-Bay for the towns and names I research.  

A few weeks before Christmas I searched Haverstraw, NY in E-bay and came across this nugget!  It is a poster advertising an event at Haverstraw High School on December 16, 1929-- Donkey Basketball. I believe it is the the police dept. vs. the fire depts.  The poster is in good condition, its a bit faded but it is ninety years old! This seller did an awesome job packing it safely.  

Donkey basketball? I had never heard of such a thing!  From what I can tell it seemed to be a popular fundraising activity ages ago in more rural areas.  I can't imagine riding a donkey, let alone doing it while trying to play basketball. Let's face it, I can't imagine playing basketball, let alone on a donkey.   

What I love most about this little gem is that it lists all the participants!  The two that made my heart skip a beat when I saw the offering on line- Tuck Schuler riding Lazy Bones and Harry Schuler riding Sally Rand!  They were life long, dedicated Haverstraw Dept volunteers, although I am pretty sure they volunteered for different companies.  They are also my grandfather and dear great uncle, respectively.  

There were several other names I recognized like Jobson and Anges and others that just felt familiar like Korn and Uhl. Take a look through and see what names you recognize.  It is more fun than a circus! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The War of the Roses

Elizabeth Cassidy Schuler

Thanks & Giving